Before giving you details about the app or the process of registering in the app I want to make this clear that this app is still not available in the Google Play Store or Apple App Store. It will be available later (Probably after the first phase of vaccination). So please do not download any such app from Play Store or App Store or apk from any website or source.
Drug Control General of India (DCGI) has approved two COVID-19 vaccines for restricted emergency use. Serum Institute of India’s Covishield and Bharat Biotech’s Covaxin are two vaccines that have been approved for emergency use. The first phase of the vaccination will include frontline workers followed by people who are above 50 years old. For further vaccination process, the central government has introduced an application named Co-WIN.
The app Co-WIN or Covid Vaccine Intelligence Work is right now under development and isn’t available anywhere. Details have been listed on the MeitY (Ministry of Health and Family Welfare) site.
Key Things About Co-WIN
- The has not launched yet. The application is in the pre-product stage and can be accessed by the health officials. They are now uploading the data of the health workers who will get vaccines in the first stage. More than 75 lakh beneficiaries have already been registered during the dry run.
- Once launched you be able to self-register yourself for vaccine through this app. In self-registration, the beneficiaries can directly register themselves through the web as well as the mobile application. Photo identity will be required for registration. And if an individual registers himself or herself, the data will be verified to check whether he or she is above 50, or below 50 but with co-morbidity issues.
- These photo identity could be an Aadhar Card, Driving License, or even a PAN Card. The app is said to be compatible with KaiOS users as well and should work on Jio Phones.
- The Co-WIN app is said to have several modules – Administrator Modules for bulk registration, beneficiary registration module for self-registration and individual registration, vaccination module for verification of beneficiary details and updates of vaccination status, and beneficiary acknowledgment and status updation module for SMS alert details, issuance of electronic vaccination certificate, and a CoWIN dashboard with all the information including details such as name, age, mobile number, vaccination status, date and time of vaccination, place of vaccination, session site, health facility and name of vaccinator.
- How much you have to pay for the vaccine is not decided yet.
- IT minister Ravi Shankar Prasad announced a challenge asking developers to augment, scale, and strengthen the CoWIN platform. IT minister even announced a cash prize of Rs 40 lakh and Rs 20 lakh respectively for the top two contestants.